- Absences or tardiness should be reported by 9:15 am.
- Students who are not in their classrooms by 9:15 am are considered tardy and must report to the office before going to their classrooms
- Virginia State Law and the Fairfax County School Board Policy require accurate reporting of absences. Therefore, when an absence is not accounted for in advance, or does not qualify as excused, the Automated Attendance Notification System will call and e-mail parents.
Absence & Tardy Procedures
- When a student is absent or tardy an explanation is required from parents/guardians. It is the parent’s/guardian’s responsibility to notify the school of the reason for the student’s absence/tardy by Email: FairhillElem.Attendance@fcps.edu or Phone: 703-208-8181.
- In the case where you know in advance about an absence, please complete the Request for Prearranged Absence Form.
- If you do not use or have access to a computer or telephone, the reason for the absence/tardy must be provided in writing to the school office within two days of return to school. Otherwise the absence will be reported as unexcused.
Excused Absences and Tardies
- Absences and tardies are excused in situations of: illness, death in the immediate family, medical or dental appointments, or observance of a religious holiday.
Unexcused Absences and Tardies
- Absences and tardies are unexcused in situations of: family trips, child care conflicts, oversleeping, non-school related activities, traffic, missed buses, etc.